Monday, February 25, 2013

                                                                   Elizabeth
This will be highly amusing to those of you who are aware of my computer abilities (or lack thereof).

Today I was leaving the pool and I was accosted (and I choose that word purposely) by a woman who was in the computer room.  She was desperate for somebody to help her navigate a web site.  She was imploring, pleading, yes, begging for help.  I immediately connected with her desperation.  I have been there so many times before.  Screaming at the screen "what happened?  Where did everything go?" 

Her name is Elizabeth.

I told her I'd try and help, but my skills were severely limited.  She didn't care, she was just happy to have a co-pilot.  And, let's be honest here, I was dying to see what the site was that garnered such desperation. 

It was a dating site called "OK Cupid" and it seems that Elizabeth had received a reply from a man who had tried to call her and couldn't get through.  I should add that Elizabeth is no spring chicken, as the saying goes.  I think it's safe to say that she has clear remembrances of WWII.

We discussed what she should reply to this man.  She was so sweet and guileless, fearful of seeming "too forward" and scaring the guy away.  Together we came up with an appropriate and short response.  Elizabeth kept wanting to add more, trying to be "nice".  To her credit, she accepted my firm feedback and kept it pithy.  We pushed "send" and I had the strongest urge to jump up with a big high five, but I didn't want to scare her.

We have a date to meet tomorrow at noon, to see if the guy responded. 

What I love about Elizabeth is that she's lived through so much advanced technology, and she's embraced it.  She's jumped into the Internet and web dating for heaven's sake.  She may be in the winter of her life, but the sun's still shining and she's still in the game.  She's my hero.

 As grateful as she was to me, I'm that much more so to her, for reminding me that it's okay to ask for help, that technology doesn't have to be that daunting, and that it's so rewarding to help somebody out.

I hope the guy responds, but if he doesn't, it's ok, I'll be there to cheer her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment