Tuesday, February 19, 2013

SNOWBIRD,FREEBIRD - Oscar Predictions

I know you've been anxiously waiting for this year's predictions, so here we go. 
I decided to separate who I think will win from whom I think should win, because this is my list and I can do whatever the hell I want.
Full disclosure:  I only saw 6 out of the 9 Best Movie nominees.  I passed on Django and Zero Dark Thirty, because I don't like to watch torture.  I didn't see Life Of Pi, because I just didn't want to.  My list, remember?

I saw all the best Actor and Supporting Actress movies, and most of the Actress (no Chastain), Supporting Actor (no Waltz), and best Directors (no Ang Lee). 

Best Actress:  Naomi Watts should win.  Her performance was beyond beyond.  What she accomplished reminds me of the work Meryl did in Sophie's Choice.  Just a class above everybody else.  Naomi was fierce and her performance was shattering.    I think Jennifer Lawrence will win - she's Hollywood's "It" girl.

Best Actor:  Daniel Day Lewis.  Period.  The end.

Supporting Actress:  Will and should win:  Anne Hathaway.  In the scene where she's singing The Song, there's a split second where you can actually see the hope leave her eyes.  It's amazing.  Her voice is great, but the eyes have it.

Supporting Actor:  Should be DeNiro - a great job of inhabiting his character, without a lot of pyrotechnics.  I think it will be Tommie Lee.  I admit to a bias against him.  To me, he's in the Harrison Ford School of Humorless Men.  I have a hard time with people who can't find the funny.

Best Director:  Ben Affleck.  Oh, that's right.  OK, should be him, but it will be Spielberg.  Lincoln was a well-constructed film, just a little dry for my taste.  I like to be moved in my movies - and Lincoln was a bit of a snooze-fest for me.

Best Movie:  Should and will be Argo.  It was my favorite movie of the year.  Rewarding this movie, in light of the ridiculous oversight of its director, is the perfect Hollywood ending.

Can't wait to here Adele sing, I think Seth MacFarlane will be great, and the red carpet is always a highlight for me (as is the after-party on "E").  I'm loading up on Chinese food and chocolate.  This is the best night of the year for me - and I hope it's enjoyable for you too.

Let me know what you think of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment