Sunday, December 15, 2013

Thanksgiving

    My Little Thanksgiving Day Miracle

Like the swallows to Capistrano, like the crowds for James Taylor at Tanglewood, my furnace conked out again.  This is not an unusual event for me, as the furnace conks out frequently.  So frequently in fact, that I know all the repair guys by name and have generously contributed to all of their childrens' college funds.  This is the second time it's happened this winter, and it isn't even officially winter yet.

One of the main reasons I'm going to Florida for the winter is to avoid the stress of the furnace (or lack thereof).  Seriously.  It's also one of the reasons why I don't have a gun.  I am a danger to my furnace.

This time, it conked out at some point, the day before Thanksgiving.  Yes, a little cosmic joke.  I knew it had happened again, because of that familiar chill in the air, and the eerie silence that happens when the furnace stops working.  I'm used to this, but the day before Thanksgiving?  Really?  C'mon.

I was able to sleep Wednesday night, with lots of blankets and lots of wine.  When I woke up on Thursday morning, I could see my breath.  I considered getting into the oven with the turkey, but there was no room.  I considered selling my car so I could afford an emergency Thanksgiving Day service call.  I considered prayer, but settled for some first class swearing.

And now, my little Thanksgiving day miracle.  With no expectation, I pushed the reset button that sometimes starts the damn thing, and yes, Elizabeth, it started.  I know from experience that this occasionally happens and in a day or so it conks out again.  But for now, for right now, my house is a toasty 72 degrees and I can take off my mittens.

Guess what I'm thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day?

1 comment:

  1. let's see - what are you thankful for on Thanksgiving?

    your age and the fact that the more you forget, the less there is to worry about?
    that's a start.

    that plans to attend a Tea Party mixer with explosives strapped to your body didn't work out? there's a medal somewhere out there for that one.

    that people who read your blog are just as abnormal as you are?
    you can take that to the bank. or the furnace.

    ... so much to be thankful for/ so little time for good grammar.


    ReplyDelete